Holy Crap! It’s been nine months since I last did a roundup post! Sorry! Bygones…
This blog started racking up the hits after the post of ACHERON: HALF-MAN, HALF-GOD, TWICE-BORN, ALL-CURSED. But after the initial euphoria, even that was not enough. A couple of years later, I took a chance on blogging about romance novels being adapted into Spanish and the main characters being replaced with the characters from Spanish-language soap operas. Holy Mother of GAWD! Between the “Webnovelas” posts and Lora Leigh’s Elite Ops, hits to TFB have gone from a slow drip to a steady stream. So if you are a return-reader, thanks ever so!!!
— I cannot believe how much attention these posts get. I think it’s because of the pics of gorgeous William Levy.
- SPOON RIVER: LAND OF THE LOST
- ANTIQUE TEXTBOOKS: STORIES IN VERSE, LYRIC VERSE
- BOOKS I’M USING TO TEACH POETRY
- GILGAMESH: A SUMERIAN EPIC OF THE THIRD MILLENIUM B.C.
- CLASSICAL LATIN POETRY: THE ECLOGUES OF VIRGIL
- APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH: LEAVES OF GRASS by WALT WHITMAN
— Poetry – the art form that will not die! Thank goodness! So much of it, and all so luscious.
- LEPRECHAUNS NEVER LIE
- THE VOICE OF JOYCE: WHAT WAS AFTER THE UNIVERSE?
- OLD CELTIC ROMANCES: A COLLECTION BY PATRICK WESTON JOYCE, TRANS. FROM THE GAELIC
— I regret that I didn’t do more for my Irish collection. I was, among other things, too lazy to pull out boxes from my closets and find more Irish books.
- DA FIVER CODE VOL. 3
- THE FIVER: Better than it sounds, smarter than it looks
- LOOK WHAT I GOT FOR CHRISTMAS!
- THE MIRACLE OF CASTEL DI SANGRO: A REVIEW IN HAIKU VERSE
- THE THINKING FAN’S GUIDE TO THE WORLD CUP (2006) Matt Weiland & Sean Wilsey, eds.
— The only sport I care about; the only sport I love; the only sport that matters. Ray Hudson left me a comment!!! GAH!!! I CAN DIE NOW! It’s like Linda Richman meeting Barbara (Joan) Streisand.
— I vented a lot of spleen about Cabal. I stick to my complaints. I’ve been reading a lot of similar remarks at Amazon and the Lorie/Roni Chadwick forum. The Elite Ops has surpassed “Tempting SEALs” by miles. That’s not criticism. Leigh set out to create something extra special with “Elite Ops” and damned if she hasn’t delivered in spades. I truly believe she’s become a stronger adventure writer.
- GIRL GUIDE GOES BRITAIN: INSIDE LITTLE BRITAIN
- DICTIONARY OF LATIN AND GREEK ORIGINS
- BOOKS THAT SUCK, 2ND EDITION
- WHAT TO LISTEN FOR IN MUSIC: WISDOM FROM THE MASTER
- FULL MOON SPENDING SPREE
— General interest posts. Little Britain is a comedy skit show from England. DoLaGO is a great reference book. Books that suck? Refer to “My Titles Are Useful”. WTLFiM is a book about music appreciation by Aaron Copland. It’s funny how the book describes him as the nicest guy you could ever meet, but he had sharp words to say about music he didn’t like – Ralph Vaughn Williams for instance.
— these are about two different sets of books: some for my class and some I have here at home. The point was that when I title a blog post, it is a useful title because it tells you in general terms what to expect. So many titles are absolutely bollocking useless and that that cheeses me off.
- MIDDLE GROUND: The Magazine of Middle Level Education (NMSA)
- NCTE’s LANGUAGE ARTS: The Journal of the Elementary Section of the Natl. Council of Teachers of English
— Academic journals that I really like. Good writing, helpful information, good design.
— 3 down, 9 to go. The best children’s series ever. Text-rich. Illustrations don’t overwhelm the eye or the page. Some old-fashioned expressions that have fallen out of favor.