Trip to Barnes & Noble —–> a dross of dosh dropped, dozens of ducats dispersed, dollops of dollars dumped.
I’ve never done this before. Frankly, I didn’t know I had the strength in me to do it. But I did. And it feels at once great and foolish. I go to the bookmart. I fill up my basket. My cousin that was with me has an even better system. She stops buying when she runs out of arms. Hmmmm…why not. So I pick up a nice variety — that’s the first sign I don’t even know what I want.
I looked for the Loeb Greek and Latin Classics series. Nothing. No Thing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Bupkus. Why am I even surprised. (Rhetorical question, hence no question mark.)
But enough banter…
WHAT I BOUGHT:
- 442 MAGAZINE: Wayne Rooney on cover.
- [SAMPLE COVER]
- You really have to love the beautiful game to buy a mag with Wayne’s monkey mug on the cover. They could double their selling power by having the Rooney story headline on the cover with a picture of someone more photogenic like Fernando Torres, Cesc Fabregas, Cristiano Ronaldo, Raul, and my current hottie o’the year — Kaka.
- Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. Penguin Books GREAT IDEAS Series. Some of his ideas are echoed in the Bible, esp. Book 2, Item 1:
- Begin each day by telling yourself: Today I shall be meeting with interference, ingratitude, insolence, disloyalty, ill-will, and selfishness — all of them due to the offenders’ ignorance of what is good or evil…none of these things can injure me, for nobody can implicate me in what is degrading… [Luke 23:34]
Book 8, Item 38: In the words of Crito the Sage, "If thou hast eyes to see, then see." [Luke 16:31, 17:22-23]
- Dawn’s Awakening by Lora Leigh
- I’ve been waiting for this story for ages and ages! Seth Lawrence is a god who walks as man. Woof! The whole novel is very exciting and I just love all the characters, not just Seth and Dawn. Jonas…rrrrowrrr!
- Previous post re this book: http://festeringblurb.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D403F49AD16FC1EE!280.entry
- The Truth About Chuck Norris
- The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry
- My favorite raconteur. I read his bio MOAB IS MY WASHPOT and I was blown away by the breadth of his intellect. But the trickster gods have not been kind to him. He can’t dance, but he can write award-winning musicals. He doesn’t look like a romantic hero, but he can play one in the movies (Oscar Wilde). He can’t play any instruments, but he can write a book about how to understand classical music.
- In this, though, all the stars are aligned. He’s like the "cool" teacher — the one who understands but is not afraid to laugh at eccentricity. He understands the nature of beauty and talent in a way worthy of any philosopher. But alas, I did not keep the book. I had to choose and since soccer is in full heat, I kept monkey mug.
WHAT I RETURNED:
Chuck Norris book
Ode Less Travelled