Here’s a list of clues that let you know a series is a strong possibility — or a least a sequel.
Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark Hunters) Lora Leigh (Feline Breeds, Wolf Breeds, Coyote Breeds, Tempting SEALs), and Lori Foster (Visitation, Buckhorn Brothers, Winston Brothers) are the current queens of this mode d’emploi.
- the hero/heroine has lots of close friends/relatives who figure prominently in the story
- comments about friends’/relatives’ love lives are interspersed throughout the story
- sometime during the story, a gauntlet is thrown down about how the F/R will fare when they (3a) meet their soul mate; (3b) meet their match
- F/R declares that they will never fall in love then become sappy and swoony about it
- F/R declares that they want someone completely different from the person their friend fell in love with
- F/Rs of hero/heroine are thrown together
- F/Rs of hero/heroine have a history
- F/R is due to do business with someone who will turn out to be a love interest
- hero/heroine inform on one F/R to another F/R
- hero/heroine take on yenta duties
- an elder character or authority figure character takes on yenta duties